The front page of today's News Journal offers a red flag warning about five things that consistently go wrong in Pensacola. If you're thinking of relocating to this place, be aware (from top to bottom) that--
- Education is a shockingly low priority for the majority of voters in this Northwest Florida community, for reasons we suspect are partly political (unreasoning anti-tax sentiment for anything and everything) and partly cultural (a deep distrust of intellectualism common throughout the South);
- Even out-of-state developers with problematic books and huge lawsuits for shoddy workmanship pending against them in their own back yard tend to see Pensacola as a chump that can still be looted for big bucks;
- In the rare event a local government comes up with a good idea to enhance, rather than destroy, a natural wonder and a leading office-holder like Pensacola Mayor Wiggins sees clearly that it should be a public works project, there will always be some subordinates who will obstruct the idea.
- Unthinking religiosity is so rampant here even "rank-and-file" members of a mainstream church "as well as a top diocese priest" claim sex abuse by priests is a media problem which isn't being discussed in local parishes;
- Our county commissioners, judging by court records of the past decade, include a lot of criminals and complete morons.